Friday, September 11, 2009

You can buy ebooks from your indie!

Over the past several months, I've had many (many!) talks about the book industry with novices and experts alike.  When I tell people I'm opening an independent bookstore, even the most excited approach the topic of ebooks with hesitation.  "What about ebooks?" is the vague question I'm often met with, and until recently, I've had to tell people that I'm hoping to sell ebooks but am not quite sure how it'll work.

Now the groundwork for my ebook selling has been laid.  According to yesterday's article in the American Booksellers Association (ABA) newsletter, Bookselling This Week, many ABA member stores are already able to sell more than 220,000 ebooks directly from their websites.  What thrilling news for independent bookstores and their customers! 

By the time Avid opens next year, there will undoubtedly be more changes in the ebook industry, but I suspect that the ABA will keep up with them and ensure that member booksellers (like me) will be able to offer customers the chance to buy ebooks directly from their local bookshop.

(image of Sony eReader from http://theguybrarian.files.wordpress.com)

No comments: